Saturday, January 14, 2006

TV

The last week or so I've been thinking a lot about how addicted to TV one can get... MIL in particular gets very hooked and sees (or tapes if they are on in the middle of the night) almost every american police/crime/hospital/whatever show on air in Sweden. But she can't keep them apart, which is sort of funny and tragic at the same time. Without badmouthing my MIL any more I readily admit to beeing easily hooked on tv shows myself. I really like British shows but they only find their way to Sweden every so often, especially in comparison to their American equivalent. When we lived in the flat and had 10 channels (5 of which I actually watched on a regular basis) I got caught watching disgustingly many shows. Half of them I began following "in training" of my procrastinatory skills more than actually seeking them out, but once hooked it's hard to stop. Also in Melbourne I daily turned to the tv for entertainment since a lot of the shows I was used to watching were shown there as well and in addition to that I got acquainted to a number of new ones.
I feel this is slowly turning into a rant, not really what I had in mind so I'll stop now and get on with my train of thought from these past few days.
TV is fun, entertaining, relaxing, thrilling, educational, informative, and more. I, however, have to learn to cut down. There is absolutely nothing with tv that you can't do without. As long as you have access to other sources of news, such as papers, radio, and of course the Internet, being without tv would only result in you having a few less clues at the coffee table at work.

That said, I don't plan on totally giving up tv. There are three shows that I really care to follow these days: The West Wing, Commander in Chief, and Desperate Housewives. Those three and the occasional high quality investigative news programme are enough for me to want a tv.

Hope/motto for days to come (kind of like a late new years resolution I guess...):
Cut down on tv watching time, go rent a movie that you really want to see instead of just landing on the sofa watching to waste time. Or even better put on some music and read a book or just sit and relax.

:)

keah

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home